Call 111 when it's less urgent than 999


Sickness Certificatestemperature.jpg

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.



The E Consult Service is available on this website, please see the Blue Box on the Home Page and click on this to start a request for a Sick Note.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay). If this is needed then you will be asked to book an appointment to see a GP or ANP and they will decide if a sick note is required and provide the patient with one.

The Practice use E Consults for sick note requests, please see our home page and the Blue Box stating E Consults. Patients will be asked to use this service to request sick notes. This saves GP appointments. Requests are picked up and dealt with within 72 hours of receipt. 

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

For more information see the DirectGov website

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website